RSS header - this is hidden

5 Simple Eating Commandments Everyone Should Follow

Posted by Katie Frissell on Aug 20, 2018 4:53:56 PM
Katie Frissell

1. Eat healthy 80% of the time and indulge in your favorites the other 20%

8020 rule

My advice to you would be don’t live off a steady diet of cookies. It’s still crucial to eat smart and to have balance in everything that you do. There’s the famous joke, “I do everything in moderation, except moderation.” While this always puts a smile on my face, moderation is key. You’re out to dinner — order some pasta. Special occasion — have the cake. Celebrating — drink up! Day-to-day basis? Be smart. Eat organic non-processed foods. Choose colorful foods full of nutrients to heal and fuel your body. Want a glass of wine  (or two) with your beautiful, nutritious meal? Cheers to your health and sweet, sweet balance.


2. Keep healthy foods on-hand at all times

Granola Snack

Access to quality snacks, like whole-food bars and nuts, can help keep you on track

Snacks are an important part of a healthy diet because they can boost metabolism, prevent weight gain, and provide the energy you need to stay strong all day long. Choose the wrong types of snacks, however, and you may find yourself skipping the gym for the couch.

In today’s fast-paced world, it can be tempting to choose pre-packaged goodies that are loaded with sugars and artificial ingredients that will cause you to crash and burn. That’s why it’s important to plan ahead and always have nutritious choices on hand.

Try preparing snacks ahead of time to store in the fridge and pantry. So, the next time that mid-afternoon fatigue hits, reach out for healthy snacks you already have stored and ready-to-go. This will help you stay on target with your healthy eating plan and weight loss goals.

Check out these easy healthy snack recipes!

 Peanut Butter Energy Bites

Baked Sweet Potato Chips

Honey Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts


3. Fiber, fiber, fiber


Fiber helps control blood sugar, maintain healthy cholesterol, and improve digestion.

Fiber is more than just a diet buzzword, it is a crucial nutrient that your body needs to ward off chronic illnesses and achieve optimal health. Aim to consume at least 25 grams of fiber per day, filling your plate with fruits, vegetables and whole grains, as well as reading labels on your everyday food products and choosing food items with the most fiber.


4. Focus on protein at breakfast

Protein slows digestion and promotes satiety.


Protein is a building block of cells throughout the body. It is necessary for healthy skin, nails, muscles, cartilage and blood. Protein helps to build and repair bodily tissues, and it is used to produce hormones and enzymes. When you eat protein for breakfast, you will feel more energized and ready to take on your day. You are also more likely to feel full longer, which can lead to healthier eating habits and possibly even weight loss.


5. Don’t fear fat

Healthy fats

Healthy fats help us absorb nutrients, build cells, and manage inflammation.


Fat. That single word evokes a sense of panic in many. Don’t eat the fat! Buy the low-fat—always! But times they are a-changin’, kind of. And when it comes to high-quality, nutritious and natural fats (the stuff that comes from the earth and not the packaged, processed kinds), they are nothing to be afraid of. In fact, they might just help you to better absorb certain nutrients, keep your belly feeling full and help with weight-loss—all in moderation, of course!

Topics: Nutrition